Audition Dates & Important information:
- All potential auditionees must fill out the Blue Thunder Marching Band Interest form
- Music Department Scholarship auditions: February 9 & February 23, 2019
- Out of State Fee Waiver decision making begins February 23, 2019
- Blue Thunder Marching Band Audition Weekend April 5 & 6, 2019
- Scholarships & Fee Waivers will be offered until funds are no longer available
For wind instrumentalists auditioning as Music Majors or Minors on February 9th and 23rd, and playing the same instrument as your Music Department audition:
- Your audition can count as the musical portion of your marching band audition
- You will need to complete the visual portion either in person or via video by the appropriate due date. Your audition will not be finalized, and no decision can be made until this is completed
- If you are planning to play a secondary instrument in the Blue Thunder, you will need to submit a complete separate audition in addition to your Music Department audition
- Potential Percussion & Color Guard members will need to complete an audition for the Blue Thunder, see below
For those residing within 100 miles & are auditioning for Blue Thunder (not Music Department) only:
- Wind & percussion audition dates are April 5 & 6 for the Fall 2019 season. Please contact the office for an audition time slot.
- Color Guard audition camp is April 5 & 6, please contact the office to secure your slot or speak with the instructor regarding options
For those residing outside 100 mile radius (including percussion and color guard):
- You may submit complete audition videos via internet upload, and email the link to email@example.com by the Audition weekend April 5 & 6, 2019
- When submitting the link, please include your full name, BSU ID number, the date you filled out the Blue Thunder Marching Band Interest Form, and whether you have already been accepted to the university
- For out of state applicants applying for Out of State Fee Waiver, it is highly recommended that we receive your completed audition link by February 23, 2019 when the committee will begin to make fee waiver decisions. Completed auditions received after this date will be processed and waivers offered if remaining awards are available
Below are the files you’ll need to audition for the Boise State Blue Thunder Drum Line. If you have any further questions please contact the band office at (208) 426-1846 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those interested in auditioning for the drum line should prepare the following:
- Play the Rudiment Builders, if interested in snare drum please play the page twice, once using match grip and once traditional. If auditioning for any other section please use match grip.
- Please play the Fanfare and Rally Song, music below, for any section you are interested in playing. (Snare, Tenor, Bass, Cymbal)
- Prepare the two exercises for the visual component for any sections you wish to be considered, follow the instructions on the top of each page. Those interested in snare, please play using traditional grip.
- If you wish to play anything else to show your talents, please feel free!
PLEASE READ COVER LETTER FOR FULL INSTRUCTIONS
Documents & Downloads:
- Drum Line Requirements & Cover Letter
- Drum Line Marching Component
- Rudiment Builders
- Snare Drum Fanfare/Rally
- Tenor Fanfare/Rally
- Bass Drum Fanfare/Rally
- Cymbal Fanfare/Rally
- We are excited that you are interested in being a part of the 2019-2020 Keith Stein Blue Thunder Marching Band at Boise State University!
- All potential auditionees must fill out the Blue Thunder Marching Band Interest form.
- Potential new members that reside within 100 miles of campus and returning members wishing to participate in the Blue Thunder Marching Band Color Guard in Fall 2019 must register for and attend the live audition camp April 5 & 6. Please see below for information about the audition process.
- Registration Form for live audition can be found here (coming soon!).
- Potential new members that reside outside a 100 mile radius from campus may submit their audition video via internet upload; Please see information below for specific instructions
- Scholarships are available based on an individual’s skill level, so we encourage you to prepare to the best of your ability.
Live Audition Information
This is an active weekend, replicating what BTMB CG rehearsals are like.
- dance type shoes
- clothes you can move in (no denim)
- your hair back out of your face
- a refillable water bottle
- BTMB will supply any necessary equipment
Itinerary for the weekend will include:
- Day 1
- Introduction; who we are, what we do, expectations
- warm up & stretch moving into body movement & form
- flag technique, spins, flag exercises, flag releases
- start audition routine if time allows
- Day 2
- warm up, stretch
- audition routine
- audition time
During the audition process, you will be evaluated in the areas of:
- flag fundamentals
- movement & marching
- level of retention
- performance ability and attitude
You do not need to have a lot of experience in all areas. However, basic flag experience will be helpful during the audition process. Some of the techniques may not be familiar to you, that’s okay…We will teach you!
Video Audition Information
Potential new members that reside outside a 100 mile radius from campus may submit their audition video via internet upload.
- Please prepare your video with you performing the learned audition routine from our website.
- The performance of the above routine must be continuous (not edited)
- You are encouraged to add any extra video that will showcase the best of what you can do, including weapons, dance etc.
- Upload to a video site such as YouTube, making sure it can be shared; then email the link to email@example.com
- When emailing, include your full name, Boise State ID number, the date you filled out the Blue Thunder Marching Band Interest Form, and whether you have already been accepted to the university
- For out of state applicants applying for an Out of State Fee Waiver, it is highly recommended that we receive your completed audition link by February 23, 2019 when the committee will begin to make fee waiver decisions. Completed auditions received after this date will be processed and waivers offered as remaining funds are available.
Email Color Guard Instructor Amy Burden at firstname.lastname@example.org